How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with sweat reduction treatments?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in perspiration reduction. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience treating hyperhidrosis, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for perspiration reduction and clarify what sweat reduction can do for you. Once your surgeon understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon may recommend alternative and additional treatments (see related procedures).
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications
- Recent or chronic use of NSAIDS like aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil or Aleve), anticoagulants or blood thinners.
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my perspiration reduction?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for perspiration reduction?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Where will you perform my perspiration reduction treatment, how long will it take, and how many treatments will I need?
- Will I have any scars, and will they be visible?
- What kind of anesthesia do you recommend for me?
- Are there any side effects to hyperhidrosis treatment?
- What will be the costs associated with my perspiration reduction?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What kind of recovery period can I expect?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What are my options if the outcome of my perspiration reduction treatment does not meet the goals we agreed on?
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, which may include:
- An approach to your treatment, including the type of treatment and brand name
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for anesthesia and treatment location
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience during and after your treatment
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether perspiration reduction is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.