- Look up aesthetic plastic surgeons in your area using our find a surgeon feature.
- Check their qualifications.
- Make sure they are board-certified by accredited boards.
- Check that they have the proper facility accreditations.
- Read their reviews.
- Look at their before and after pictures, and identify ones that resemble the results you’re hoping to achieve.
Schedule and Prepare For Your Consultation
- Schedule a consultation with at least one aesthetic plastic surgeon (understand the cost associated with this visit).
- Print out copies of your medical record or other information about your medical history to bring with you.
- Organize a list of questions to ask your surgeon.
- Prepare your thoughts or write down notes describing what you dislike about your current appearance, what you’d like to change, and why you’d like to change it.
- Explore the various procedures and come prepared to discuss your options.
- Compile photos of results that you admire, including before and after images from your surgeon's online gallery.
Attend Your Consultation
- Double check your surgeon’s qualifications.
- Discuss whether or not you are a qualified candidate for plastic surgery.
- Ask about your procedure options.
- Understand the risks, the post-surgical care requirements, and the recovery time associated with the procedure your surgeon recommends (including the time you’ll need to take off work).
- Find out the total cost for your procedure and payment options.
- Don’t leave until all your questions are answered.
Decide Whether To Proceed With A Procedure
- Make sure you feel comfortable with the surgeon and confident in their abilities.
- If you still have any questions or concerns, ask follow-up questions and double-check the surgeon’s qualifications.
- If you aren’t happy with the surgeon you met or want a second opinion, schedule an additional consultation with another aesthetic plastic surgeon.
- Thoroughly read all paperwork provided before signing anything.