What is vulvaplasty?
Vulvaplasty is vaginal plastic surgery focused on reshaping the outer region of the vagina, including the labia majora (outer vaginal lips).
Some patients combine this procedure with labiaplasty (surgery that focuses on the inner vaginal lips) or vaginoplasty (surgery that tightens the muscles inside your vagina).
Why get vulvaplasty?
A vagina’s appearance varies by person, and skin can naturally stretch with time, weight fluctuations, pregnancy, cancer, and injury. If you wish to change the appearance of your vagina, specifically the shape of your outer vaginal lips, vulvaplasty may be right for you.
Vulvaplasty is a great option if you have any of the below concerns:
- Your vaginal structures have changed or stretched due to aging, weight loss, or pregnancies.
- You experience soreness or pain with sexual activity, bicycle riding, or horseback riding.
- The effects of childbirth have led to reduced sensation during intercourse.
- You have discomfort as a result of previous genital surgeries.
Below are some of the benefits of vulvaplasty:
- Reduce the size and protrusion of your labia majora and reshape your vagina’s outer tissue to a sleeker and more refined contour
- Give your vagina a more youthful appearance
- Feel more confident wearing clothing, such as bikini bottoms, panties, and tight workout pants
- Increase your sexual satisfaction
- Improve your self-image and self-confidence
What should I consider before getting vulvaplasty?
Please consult with your aesthetic plastic surgeon for more information on what is unique to you.
- You need to be in good general health.
- If you plan to have children, you may want to postpone your surgery. Pregnancy will stretch your vagina, compromising your surgery results.
- Bleeding or infection might occur.
- You may have some discoloration or scarring.
- The recovery time can be lengthy, and you may not be able to engage in physical activities or sexual intercourse for several months.