How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with filler injections?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Learn More About How to Find an Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in filler procedures. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with fillers, you will need to set up your consultation.
Before going for a consultation, we recommend you read our See Injectable Safety Guide.
What can I expect during a consultation?
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for filler injections and clarify what fillers can do for you. Your surgeon will also evaluate the lines on your face and help you decide on a type of dermal filler based on what is best suited for your needs.
Once your surgeon evaluates your skin and understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon may recommend alternative and additional treatments (see related procedures).
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications
- Skin conditions
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my fillers?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for filler injections?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have before and after photos that I can see?
- Do I need topical anesthetic?
- What will be the costs associated with my filler treatment?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What are my options if the outcome of my filler results do not meet the goals we agreed on?
See Questions To Ask Your Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, which may include:
- Filler injection recommendations that will give you the best outcome
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for treatment location
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience after your treatment
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether fillers are right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.