How do I apply an eyelash enhancer?
Your aesthetic plastic surgeon will instruct you about the correct method for applying eyelash enhancer serum at home. Usually, you apply eyelash enhancer at night so the product can fully absorb, and irritation is minimal. Application generally includes the following steps:
- Before applying any product, clean your face and eye area and remove all makeup, dirt, and facial products.
- Remove contacts and false eyelashes or extensions, if you have them.
- Apply the product using a sterile applicator on the upper eyelashes going from the inside out. Do not apply in your eye or to the bottom lashes. Discard the applicator after use.
- Blot any excess serum and continue with the opposite eye with a new sterile applicator.
- To get the best results, use consistently and as directed.
What are my eyelash enhancement options?
Options include non-surgical eyelash enhancers and surgical eyelash grafting of individual hair follicles (see hair transplantation). For those seeking a simple, non-surgical solution, there are a number of eyelash enhancement options to choose from.
What are the brand names for non-surgical eyelash enhancement serums?
There are many popular brands available for enhancing your eyelashes. Latisse is the only prescription enhancer and is also one of the most well-known treatments. City Lash, Obagi Elastilash Eyelash Solution, Marini Lash Revitalash, SmartLash, neuLash, and Rapidlash are some of the other non-prescription eyelash serums currently available for lengthening, thickening, or conditioning your eyelashes.
How do these products work?
These eyelash boosters work in two ways. First they contain a molecule similar to bimatoprost in Latisse, which prolongs the hair growth cycle so that your lashes don't fall out as often. They also strengthen your lashes by moisturizing them with ingredients like pro-vitamin B5 and humectants. The over-the-counter lash boosters contain a weaker molecule but it still can be effective if the proper active ingredient responsible for hair growth is present in the proper concentration.