How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with nonsurgical fat reduction?
- Do you like their results (see before and after photos)?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in nonsurgical fat reduction. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with nonsurgical fat reduction, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
Generally, because of the in-depth nature of the consultation, there is usually a cost associated with the initial visit.
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for nonsurgical fat reduction and clarify what it can do for you. Be prepared to describe what changes you’d like so your surgeon can help you choose the best approach for you.
Once your surgeon understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon may recommend alternative and additional treatments (see related procedures).
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my nonsurgical fat reduction?
It’s important that you take an active role in your surgery, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for nonsurgical fat reduction?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have nonsurgical fat reduction before and after photos that I can see?
- How many nonsurgical fat reductions have you performed?
- Where will you perform my treatment and how long will it take?
- What will be the costs associated with my procedures?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What kind of recovery period can I expect, and when can I resume normal activities?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedures?
- What are my options if the outcome of my nonsurgical fat reduction does not meet the goals we agreed on?
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, including:
- An approach to your treatment, including the type of procedure or combination of procedures
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedures
- Associated risks and complications
- Treatment location options
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience during and after treatment
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether nonsurgical fat reduction is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.