How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with photorejuvenation?
- Do you like their results (see before and after photos)?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in IPL / photorejuvenation. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with photorejuvenation, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will examine your skin and discuss what issues you can improve with photorejuvenation. Your surgeon will also design a treatment plan specifically for your skin issues, including an estimated number of treatments to achieve maximum results.
Once your surgeon understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon may recommend alternative and additional treatments (see related procedures).
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my photorejuvenation?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for photorejuvenation?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have photorejuvenation before and after photos that I can see?
- Where will you perform my IPL, how long will it take, and how many treatments will I need?
- What will be the costs associated with my photorejuvenation?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What kind of recovery period can I expect?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What are my options if my photorejuvenation results do not meet the goals we agreed on?
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, which may include:
- An approach to your treatment, including the type of treatment or combination of treatments.
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for treatment location
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience after your treatment
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether photorejuvenation is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.