How long does it take to recover from hand rejuvenation?
Depending on the procedure, you can usually resume normal activities within hours or several days. Your surgeon will let you know how long it will be before you can return to your normal level of activity and work. Your surgeon will also give you and your caregiver detailed instructions about your postoperative care after your surgery, including information about:
- Typical symptoms you will experience
- Potential signs of complications
- Skin care (following laser skin resurfacing)
It is vital that you follow all the patient care instructions your surgeon provides. It is also important to know that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals.
What can I expect immediately after my hand rejuvenation?
- When the anesthesia wears off, you may have some pain.
- Immediately after surgery, your hands will be bruised, swollen, and stiff.
- If you had fat grafting, the donor site (where the fat was removed) might be sore and bruised.
- Your surgeon may recommend that you apply ice to your hands, stay out of the sun, and keep your hands clean.
- If your pain or swelling is extreme or long-lasting, contact your surgeon.
What can I expect during my hand rejuvenation recovery?
- Bruising, stiffness, and swelling will gradually disappear.
- Your hands will appear more youthful, filled-out, and smooth, with little or no brown spots or veins.
- Your skin may still be pink for up to eight weeks, but your skin tones should begin to blend naturally without depigmentation.
- If you had a more superficial treatment, your surgeon may recommend a repeat procedure a month or two later to enhance your results.