How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with botulinum toxin injections?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in botulinum toxin. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with botulinum toxin injections, you will need to set up your consultation.
Before going for a consultation, we recommend you read our Injectable Safety Guide.
What can I expect during a consultation?
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for botulinum toxin and clarify what it can do for you. Once your surgeon evaluates your skin and understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon will recommend a treatment plan.
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as:
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications, including recent or chronic use of NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil or Aleve), anticoagulants or blood thinners
- Skin conditions
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my botulinum toxin treatment?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for botulinum toxin injections?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of alternative treatment options, including the use of fillers, fat grafts, surgery, skin resurfacing or chemical peels?
- Do you recommend numbing cream?
- Where will you perform my botulinum toxin injections?
- What will be the costs associated with my botulinum toxin treatment?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What are the risks and complications, and how are those handled?
- What are my options if the outcome does not meet the goals we agreed on?
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, including:
- An approach to your treatment
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for treatment location
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience during and after your treatment
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether botulinum toxin is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit.
If you are a qualified candidate for botulinum toxins and feel the surgeon is qualified to perform your treatment, your surgeon may complete your injections that day. Alternatively, many surgeons offer virtual consultations.
If you still aren’t sure how to proceed after your consultation, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.