How do I prepare for a spider vein treatment?
Your surgeon will provide thorough pretreatment instructions and answer any questions you may have.
In advance of your treatment, your surgeon may ask you to:
- Stop smoking before undergoing surgery to promote better healing.
- Avoid taking aspirin, certain anti-inflammatory drugs, and some herbal medications that can cause increased bleeding.
- Hydrate before and after surgery for safe recovery.
Spider vein treatment is usually an outpatient treatment. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after treatment and to stay with you at least the first night following your procedure.
What can I expect the day of my spider vein treatment?
Be sure to consult with your surgeon before your treatment so you have the most accurate expectations.
- You may have your spider vein treatment in an office-based suite.
- Most spider vein treatments take thirty minutes to an hour to complete but may take longer, depending on the area being treated.
- The surgeon will administer medications for your comfort during the procedure.
- Your surgeon will follow the treatment plan discussed with you before your treatment.
- After sclerotherapy, you will wear compression stockings to maximize the chances of treatment success.
You likely can go home after a short observation period unless you and your aesthetic plastic surgeon have made other plans for your immediate post-treatment recovery.