How long does it take to recover from a spider vein treatment?
Spider vein treatments usually require little, if any, recovery time. For most patients, the treatment is painless, and you can resume full activity immediately. Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions regarding your post-treatment care, including information about:
- Typical symptoms you will experience
- Potential signs of complications
It is vital that you follow all the patient care instructions your surgeon provides.
What can I expect during my spider vein treatment recovery?
- After the procedure, you will notice a reduction in your spider veins. If you undergo sclerotherapy, about fifty to seventy percent of the treated vessels will be permanently gone. With laser ablation, some veins may disappear after one treatment, while others may take longer. With either treatment, you will need multiple sessions to achieve optimal results.
- Spider vein treatments are usually painless. You may experience temporary skin discoloration, skin reddening, bruising, and occasionally blisters. These side effects subside over a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
- Sclerotherapy requires little or no recovery time. You should be able to resume work and almost all normal activities right away.
- You may need to wear compression stockings to help keep the treated veins closed and reduce bruising.
- You should avoid direct sunlight during the first few weeks following your treatment.