How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with tattoo removal?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Learn More About How to Find for an Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in tattoo removal procedures. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with tattoo removal, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for tattoo removal and clarify what laser tattoo removal or surgical tattoo removal can do for you. Once your surgeon understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon may recommend alternative and additional treatments (see related procedures).
Certain tattoos are more difficult to remove than others and may require more laser sessions to achieve a satisfactory result. Darker colored tattoo pigments (red, blue and black) are easier to remove and can usually be removed more completely than lighter ink colors (green and yellow). Amateur tattoos are easily removed and often only require one to two sessions, while many multicolored tattoos require twelve or more sessions spaced several months apart.
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my tattoo removal?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for tattoo removal?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have tattoo removal before and after photos that I can see?
- Where will you perform my tattoo removal, how long will it take, and how many treatments will I need?
- Will there be scarring or discoloration?
- What will be the costs associated with my tattoo removal?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What kind of recovery period can I expect?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What are my options if the outcome of my tattoo removal does not meet the goals we agreed on?
See Questions To Ask Your Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, which may include:
- An approach to your treatment, including the type of device or combination of devices to be used and the number of treatments anticipated
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Treatment location options
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience during and after your treatment
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether tattoo removal is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.