How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with laser skin resurfacing?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in laser skin resurfacing treatments. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with laser skin resurfacing, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for laser skin resurfacing and clarify what skin resurfacing can do for you. Once your surgeon evaluates your skin and understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon will recommend a treatment plan.
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications, including current or past use of Accutane (isotretinoin), Retin-A (tretinoin) and other topical skin preparations
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my laser skin resurfacing?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for laser skin resurfacing?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have laser skin resurfacing before and after photos that I can see?
- Where will you perform my laser skin resurfacing, how long will it take, and how many treatments will I need?
- What kind of anesthesia do you recommend for me?
- Will there be scarring or discoloration?
- What will be the costs associated with my laser skin resurfacing treatment?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What kind of recovery period can I expect?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What are my options if the outcome of my laser skin resurfacing does not meet the goals we agreed on?
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, including:
- An approach to your treatment, including the type of device or combination of devices to be used and the number of treatments anticipated
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for treatment location
- What you need to prepare for your treatment
- What you can expect to experience during and after your treatment
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Computer imaging to show you the improvements you can expect
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision as to whether laser skin resurfacing is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.