How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with hair transplantation?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Learn More About How to Find an Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in hair transplantation. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience performing hair transplantation procedures, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
Generally, because of the in-depth nature of the consultation, there is a cost associated with the initial visit, but surgeons sometimes deduct from the price of the procedure.
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for hair transplantation and clarify what it can do for you. Your surgeon will examine your scalp and hair to assess the best place to remove hair and identify locations that need to be fuller.
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions
- Allergies and current medications
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about my hair transplantation?
It’s important that you take an active role in your treatment, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for hair transplantation?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have hair transplantation before and after photos that I can see?
- Where will you perform my hair transplantation, how long will it take, and how many treatments will I need?
- What will be the costs associated with my hair transplantation?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- What are my options if the outcome of my hair transplantation does not meet the goals we agreed on?
See Questions To Ask Your Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, which may include:
- An approach to your procedure
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedure
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for anesthesia and surgery location
- What you need to prepare for your procedure
- What you can expect to experience during and after your procedure
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether hair transplantation is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.