How long does it take to recover from vaginoplasty?
The recovery time for vaginoplasty is typically 2-4 weeks; however, your recovery time may vary depending on your specific procedure or the combination of procedures you undergo. Your surgeon will let you know how long it will be before you can return to your normal level of activity and will give you detailed instructions about your postoperative care after your surgery, including information about:
- Removing the vaginal packing
- Cleaning instructions
- Typical symptoms you will experience
- Potential signs of complications
It is vital that you follow all the patient care instructions your surgeon provides. It is also important to know that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals.
What can I expect during my vaginoplasty recovery?
- You should stay in bed the day of your surgery.
- You may have some bruising and swelling in the initial postoperative period that can last a few weeks.
- You may experience difficulty urinating.
- You may also experience minor discomfort, especially when standing up, which can be controlled by medication.
- You may have brown or yellow discharge.
- You should refrain from engaging in sexual intercourse and not use tampons, baths, hot tubs, or saunas for the time period allocated by your surgeon.
- You may be able to return to work within two weeks, depending on the extent of your surgery and your activity level.