How do I find a surgeon I can trust?
It’s important to consider the following when choosing your aesthetic plastic surgeon:
- Does the surgeon have the proper education, training, and certification?
- Does the surgeon have extensive experience with fat transfer?
- Do you like their results (see before and after photos)?
- What is your comfort level with him or her?
- Are they a member of The Aesthetic Society?
Learn More About How to Find an Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
Members of The Aesthetic Society have the education, experience, and certifications required to perform your aesthetic procedure, and many of our members specialize in fat transfer and fat grafting. Find a Surgeon Near You
After you find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with extensive experience with fat transfer, you will need to set up your consultation.
What can I expect during a consultation?
Generally, because of the in-depth nature of the consultation, there is usually a cost associated with the initial visit.
During your initial consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your aesthetic goals. Your surgeon will evaluate whether you are a good candidate for fat grafting and clarify what a fat transfer can do for you. Be prepared to describe what changes you’d like so your surgeon can help you choose the best approach for you.
Your surgeon may also evaluate the elasticity of your skin, measure the amount of fat you have available for grafting and take photos for your medical records.
Once your surgeon understands your goals and medical condition, your surgeon may recommend alternative and additional treatments (see related procedures).
You should come to the consultation prepared to discuss your complete medical history, such as your:
- Previous surgeries
- Past and present medical conditions, including any history of high blood pressure, thyroid problems or diabetes
- Allergies and current medications
- Current use of alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs
- History with any noninvasive cosmetic procedures
What questions should I ask my aesthetic plastic surgeon about fat grafting?
It’s important that you take an active role in your surgery, so please use this list of questions as a starting point for your initial consultation.
- Am I a good candidate for fat transfer?
- Are the results I am seeking reasonable and realistic?
- Do you have fat transfer before and after photos that I can see?
- How many fat transfer procedures have you performed?
- Where will you perform my surgery and how long will it take?
- Will I have scars, and where will they be located?
- What kind of anesthesia do you recommend for me?
- What will be the costs associated with my procedures?
- What will you expect of me to get the best results?
- What kind of recovery period can I expect, and when can I resume normal activities?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedures?
- What are my options if the outcome of my fat transfer does not meet the goals we agreed on?
See Questions To Ask Your Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
What happens after the consultation?
Based on your goals, physical characteristics, and your surgeon’s training and experience, your aesthetic plastic surgeon will share recommendations and information with you, including:
- An approach to your surgery, including the type of procedure or combination of procedures
- The outcomes you can anticipate
- The financial investment required for the procedures
- Associated risks and complications
- Options for anesthesia and surgery location
- What you need to prepare for your surgery
- What you can expect to experience during and after surgery
- Before and after photos of cases similar to yours
- Computer imaging to show you the improvements you can expect
- Answers to any of your questions
Once you’ve done your research and completed your consultation, you should be able to make an educated decision on whether fat transfer is right for you and whether a surgeon is a good fit. If you still aren’t sure how to proceed, you should feel empowered to ask follow-up questions or set up a consultation with a different surgeon. You can also ask one of our board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons a question using our Ask a Surgeon feature.